Monday, April 29, 2013

Happy?

For those who missed the Looking Ahead to Worship video showing Coca-Cola's answer to "What is Happiness?' you might enjoy this version:


What is it that induces people to say "I love you so much!" then hug and kiss a machine? Coca-Cola says the answer is: "happiness." And, clearly, Coke knows how to create this kind of happiness.

And it is happiness - of a kind. It's the kind of happiness that makes you smile and laugh and to go about your day with your spirits lifted.

But Paul writes of a different kind of happiness when he tells the church at Philippi:
I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11-13)
Here, Paul writes not of an ephemeral happiness, but of an abiding contentment that comes from having the inner certainty that his personal well-being is not dependent on external circumstances. In whatever situation he finds himself (even prison!), Paul depends on God for his well-being. The Greek word Paul uses for "content" is autarkes, which literally means "self-sufficient." Paul's "secret" to being content in all circumstances is that he focuses on his relationship with God, not external forces, to get him through good times and bad.

Where the New Testament speaks of happiness, the word "joy" or "rejoice" is often used. Sometimes, the word is "blessed." Always, there is a correlation between this positive state of being and the commandment we are given to "love God" and "love neighbor." While Coca-Cola may bring us a "Coke and a smile," the secret to abiding contentment lies in our love and service to God and our neighbor.

May you live in abiding contentment this (and every) week!

God Bless,

Rev. Mary

The Monday Connection: External factors may temporarily affect my mood; but how does my relationship with God and my relationships with my neighbors determine my "abiding contentment?"

**************


Interested in learning more about happiness? To get a secular understanding of "positive psychology," I recommend the documentary "Happy": http://www.amazon.com/Happy/dp/B007BECIVC



Another short video I highly recommend tells the story of Beatrice, a young girl whose life was changed because of a gift of a goat from Heifer International. On Sunday, our children voted on what animals they will purchase with their Heifer funds - they have over $1500 in their account! Who knows how many lives may be changed by their gift? Just thinking about it makes me happy :). You can watch Beatrice's story, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKyIJulSRQ



No comments:

Post a Comment